Reasons why a dentist might recommend dental crowns
Dental crowns, or “tooth caps,” are versatile dental restorations that can be used in various circumstances to improve the function, strength, or appearance of your teeth. At Knoxville Smiles at Malone & Costa Dentistry in Knoxville, Tennessee, we provide customized solutions for our patients designed to blend in seamlessly with their smile while offering excellent functionality and protection for their teeth.
Why a dental crown might be recommended
Dental crowns cover the entire visible portion of your tooth and can be made from several different materials, but patients typically opt for porcelain crowns because they closely resemble a natural tooth. Part of why dental crowns are so common is that they can be used in many different scenarios to protect and restore your teeth, such as:
- Broken or fractured teeth: When a tooth breaks or cracks, it becomes vulnerable to decay and bacterial infiltration. A dental crown might be used in this situation to help preserve your natural tooth while bolstering its strength and protecting it from future problems.
- Dental implant restoration: Dental implants are an incredibly popular choice for patients who have suffered from tooth loss. After the implant has healed and fused with your jawbone, the final step in the dental implant process is to place a natural-looking tooth restoration, typically a dental crown for single tooth implants.
Actual Patient Results
- Placement of a dental bridge: Another common tooth replacement option is a dental bridge, which consists of false teeth that “bridge” the gap left by tooth loss and dental crowns on each side that anchor the bridge in place.
- Root canal therapy: After a tooth has been treated with root canal therapy, a dental crown may be placed on the tooth to help seal it off from future infection and restore its outer strength.
- Improving the appearance of a tooth: If a tooth has become worn down, permanently stained, or has other aesthetic imperfections, a dental crown can be used to restore its natural appearance.
Beautiful results that last
At Knoxville Smiles, we combine our dental expertise with high-quality materials and an in-house laboratory to provide our patients with an exceptional dental crown experience and long-lasting, natural-looking results. To schedule your appointment at our Knoxville, TN office, call (865) 426-1776 or request your appointment online!
Share this Article
Back to Crowns and Bridges Page